Blacksmith wannabe

Blacksmith wannabe
First time firing up my forge. Used wood for fuel ( late summer 2015)

04 December 2014

Lee Valley workbench review




Veritas® Workbenches - Woodworking




Workbenches for woodworking have always been praised and criticized the world over by woodworkers for millennia , and this particular bench is no exception.

 I purchased my first workbench about 5 years ago and in that time I have discovered what I like and don't like about this bench. Perhaps these opinions will be useful to you if you buy a workbench or build one.


Some assembly required : Moving the bench is made easier with the legs and the top easy to remove. I had the bench in the garden shed for a while before I moved it downstairs in the house. By dis assembling the bench it was relatively easy to transport.

Get a fat bench : I do use the bench for hand work and  the bench started to skate on the floor while using my hand planes. My bench is not massive in terms of weight so I had to make some shelves across the trestles to hold ballast(garden blocks).  The blocks weigh the bench down enough now that it won't move with regular forces pushing on it. If necessary I can slide the bench around by hip checking it - that way I don't break my back.

Skip the dust collector :  Centered in the bench top is a tool tray, it has various names depending if you like that sort of addition to your bench. I don't like it. It eats up valuable surface area for working and acts more like a dust collector than any thing else. I will be removing the tool tray in the future and joining  the heavy maple slabs together.

A holey good idea : The top has several 3/4"  holes pre-drilled to accommodate round bench dogs or my personal favourite - holdfasts. This feature is really nice to have.

Add vises as needed : The full width tail vise at the end of the bench has seen very little use with the exception of assembling my toboggans. I could have done without this vise and I will be removing it very soon. My advice(pun intended) is start with a face vise(quite practical) and as you work with the bench you will find out which vises you need for the projects that you want to do.

This workbench can be ordered in various stages(ie: just the tops, or cast iron legs etc.) because it is easier on your wallet.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment