Blacksmith wannabe

Blacksmith wannabe
First time firing up my forge. Used wood for fuel ( late summer 2015)

15 May 2015

Canedy Otto forge blower restoration Part 1

Gooday and welcome !

I have been absent from this dusty corner of cyber space for too long and I do in fact have a rather
interesting hand powered tool all the way from the fertile soil of Manitoba.

Last summer I caught the blacksmithing "bug" as I watched a live demonstration of the art performed at a pre-Stampede breakfast in my neighbourhood. Ever since that day I have been searching Kijiji and You Tube for blacksmithing tools and techniques. I caught a break when I mentioned my new interest to my father-in-law. He told me he used to use a forge on a regular basis when he and his team used heavy equipment(D-7 Caterpillar etc.) to clear the land in his community. This forge was used often to repair parts that broke on the heavy duty machines. He graciously offered it to me and even repaired the "basin/coal tub" which had several gapping rust holes in it.

The forge found its way west to the dusty plains of Alberta where it is undergoing a restoration of sorts in my back yard. The hand cranked blower is seized and is currently receiving hot showers of WD-40 courtesy of my new heat gun.

The legs have been separated from the blower base and are in fair shape considering that they have spent many years in the back forty.

The manufacturer of this blower is Canedy Otto Mfg. Co. from Ohio, U.S.A.

So far I have removed the set screw that holds the sliding crank handle and also straightened the handle with the counter weight attached to the end.

Right now I am in the process gaining access to the gears inside. The bolts that hold the gear housing to the fan housing are very old and just break off inside when I gently turn them counter clockwise.

I will update this post as my labour of love continues to give new life to this old work horse.
My goal is to be starting a fire in it this summer/fall.


Ye rusty forge - legs have been removed.




The fan is intact - now it just needs to turn.


The large rectangular patch which is currently holding the blower to the pan.(Courtesy of my father-in-law(Thanks Dad))



This is the second part of the blower restoration project.

I separated the transmission housing from the impeller housing. The bolts that threaded into the impeller housing broke off because the bolts were very weak and the threads were completed rusted.



The rusty gears of the transmission that takes the power from the crank and increases the revolutions to the impeller.

Tonight I drilled out one of the three broken bolts and tapped the threads with a 1/4 -20NC taper tap.
It is necessary to start with a much smaller drill size to make sure that the hole is going down straight.
After I finished going the full depth with that first bit I used a larger bit to drill the hole before I used the final size drill bit.



The tricky business of tapping new threads. It takes some patience.


All pictures and video(s) supplied by Capital Forge of Calgary Alberta.

No comments:

Post a Comment