Blacksmith wannabe

Blacksmith wannabe
First time firing up my forge. Used wood for fuel ( late summer 2015)

03 March 2016

Canedy Otto forge blower restoration Part 2

 
Gooday
While the forge has been up and running , I have been working on the blower section. As you have seen in part one of this series the gears from the fan transmission were seized up solid.
I did some research on the internet about loosening seized gears and found an old engine forum.

I read some of the threads and one guy said that soaking the part in oil/kerosene/diesel and lighting it on fire was a good way to get the metal heated up and at the same time allowing a lubricating fluid to reach in and penetrate the seized parts. I used this method on the gears and let it burn for about two hours, after that I dropped it in a bucket of old engine oil.

 
                                                      
The gears from the blower getting heated up and lubricated at the same time


I worked on the fan a couple of days earlier and replaced two fins with stainless steel blades.
Here is the video from that experiment.
 
All pictures and video supplied by Capital Forge of Calgary, Alberta
 
























































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment